Skip to content
Lawrence Lustig/INPHO

Katie Taylor preparing for 'rough and rugged' battle in title fight

Taylor faces Anahi Esther Sanchez this weekend in her quest to claim the WBA lightweight title.

WHILE ONE MIGHT expect promoter Eddie Hearn to talk up the prospect of a “grueling fight” between Katie Taylor and Anahi Esther Sanchez this weekend, it may come as some surprise that even the money-on favourite anticipates a “toe-to-toe” battle in Cardiff.

Five-time world amateur champion Taylor is priced at 1/33 by the bookmakers to overcome Argentina’s WBA world lightweight champion Sanchez when the pair clash on the undercard of Anthony Joshua’s heavyweight title defence at the Principality Stadium.

On paper, the female fight appears to be a competitive match-up with 31-year-old Taylor’s novice 6-0 pro looking slightly green when compared to her 25-year-old opponent’s 17-2 slate.

However, the fact that both of Sanchez’s previous defeats came in Europe – in her only fights outside of Argentina – combined with Taylor’s glittering amateur record has led many to predict that a new champion will be crowned on Saturday night.

Hearn, unsurprisingly, was keen to dismiss such notions when plugging the fight at yesterday’s pre-fight press conference.

“It will be gruelling unless Katie gets her out of there early,” claimed the promoter. “I expect Katie, as always, to fight at a frantic pace and I think that will overcome and overpower Sanchez, but Sanchez will come back and Katie will get hit with shots because she does like to stand and trade. It is a dangerous fight.”

Such talk will be labelled as cynical salesmanship by those who believe that the Matchroom boss is out to boost Sky Box Office pay-per-view sales, but Taylor herself agreed with the suggestion that Sanchez could present a gritty challenge considering the Argentine is more acquainted with the ‘dark arts’ of the pro game.

She (Sanchez) is very experienced and she is very rough and rugged when she does get in there as well.

“She likes to get in close, so I would be expecting all that but I am prepared for that,” said the challenger, who paid tribute to Ireland’s only reigning world champion, Ryan Burnett, following his unification victory over Zhanat Zhakiyanov in Belfast last week and hinted that she may take inspiration from her compatriot’s gritty winning performance.

“It was a super performance. He beat him (Zhakiyanov) at his own game, I thought, which was brilliant. (It was) such a physical fight as well, going toe-to-toe for 12 rounds, it was incredible really,” said Taylor before revealing that she is prepared for a similarly gruelling battle this weekend if a toe-to-toe encounter unexpectedly transpires.

“That’s the plan, to go in there and mix it up. There are going to be stages in the fight when I am going to be toe-to-toe with her, so we will see,” said the Bray native. “Hopefully, I will make it a small bit easier on myself. We’ll see how the fight is going.”

Subscribe to The42 podcasts here:

‘It will be a dark and rainy night for Katie’: Sanchez vows to destroy Taylor’s title dream

Gary Murray out of coma and ‘recovering well’ three weeks after fight with Paddy Gallagher

Close
3 Comments
This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
Leave a Comment
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Nick Menezes
    Favourite Nick Menezes
    Report
    Aug 30th 2013, 7:40 PM

    Think its blatantly obvious Meylers a better option then Paul Green, Damien Delaney is a better option then McShane and although nobody seems to like Stokesy he showed on Wednesday night hes more abillity then Sammon or Cox but its still a decent squad given whats available just a shame O’Brien and Quinn are out.COYBIG

    40
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Aodhan Fogarty
    Favourite Aodhan Fogarty
    Report
    Aug 30th 2013, 10:36 PM

    Stokes will never get in an Ireland squad due to his off field antics… I still dont no how Green and Mc Shane are getting picked over the more talented younger players out there..

    10
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute William Motley
    Favourite William Motley
    Report
    Aug 31st 2013, 4:58 AM

    Sooner were knocked out the better.Get rid of this oul git and get somebody who’ll play our best team

    3
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Sean O'Connor
    Favourite Sean O'Connor
    Report
    Aug 31st 2013, 9:50 AM

    Meyler is going to see very little first team action this season with Huddelstone and Livermore signing for Hull.
    Don’t get why people continually knock Green. The last few times he’s played for us he’s done well, especially against Sweden.
    For those giving out about us not playing our best team, what exactly does that look like? Played against Wales, arguably the team that many “fans” would consider our strongest lineup and we couldn’t finish any chances.
    I’d trust the manager long before any so called “armchair manager” in relation to picking are best possible team to achieve the best possible result.

    3
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Kenneth Appleby
    Favourite Kenneth Appleby
    Report
    Aug 31st 2013, 11:25 AM

    #correct&right

    1
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Robert O'Sullivan
    Favourite Robert O'Sullivan
    Report
    Aug 31st 2013, 6:55 AM

    Westwood
    Coleman. Dunne. O’Shea. Wilson
    McCarthy. Whelan
    Walters. Hoolahan. Brady
    Long

    3
Submit a report
Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
Thank you for the feedback
Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.

Leave a comment

 
cancel reply