Skip to content
Dubois (left) lines up with Joe Joyce. PA

Daniel Dubois set to make ring return after injury in June

The Londoner suffered a serious eye injury in losing to Joe Joyce last November.

DANIEL DUBOIS IS set to make his comeback to boxing just six months after suffering a horrendous eye injury when he takes on Bogdan Dinu on 5 June for the vacant WBA interim heavyweight title.

The Londoner suffered a broken orbital bone and nerve damage around his left eye last November as he was beaten for the first time in his professional career by Joe Joyce, who claimed the British, Commonwealth and European titles.

After allowing himself to be counted out when he took a knee in the 10th round, Dubois, 23, was accused by several current or former boxers of ‘quitting’, but he has a chance of getting back to winning ways this summer.

“I am excited to be back in the ring on June 5 after the frustration of being kept out of the gym and doing what I love to do for a number of months after my last fight,” Dubois said.

“This is my chance to remind people of what I am really about, which is winning fights in a devastating fashion. I don’t need to make any excuses for the Joe fight because everybody could see the issue with my vision, but Joe won fair and square and we move on.

“Time is on my side but I don’t intend to slow down my progress and I am more than happy to be returning to the ring in a big title fight that puts me right back in the picture.”

Dubois’ return comes against a Romanian fighter who has only lost twice in 22 fights and both to high-level opposition in Jarrell Miller in November 2018 and Kubrat Pulev five months later.

“I respect Dinu and accept that he could provide a tough test,” Dubois said of the 34-year-old Dinu. “But I can only see one outcome and that is me leaving the ring with another major championship belt for my collection.”

Dubois’ promoter Frank Warren pointed out a win for his charge would put him in pole position for a world title shot.

“A win for Daniel in this interim title fight will see him become the mandatory challenger for the WBA world title and, if he can get past Dinu, he is back in contention and right in the mix with the top contenders,” Warren said.

“It is an opportunity for Daniel to post a ‘business as usual’ statement to the public and the rest of the heavyweight division following his setback against Joe.

“Dinu is a high quality and respected opponent who in no way can Daniel take lightly. It is exactly the sort of challenge he needs at this stage in his career.

“There will be significant pressure on Daniel coming back after a first defeat and the focus will be right on him to see how he reacts. He is returning in a big fight, everything will be on the line and the prize on offer is a shot at the world title.”

Close
Comments
This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
Leave a Comment
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute John Hughes
    Favourite John Hughes
    Report
    Sep 28th 2011, 1:11 PM

    Yeah right they’d pull out of RWC15. They would have rioting on the streets of every city and town in NZ if they tried that one. If you’re going to bluff at least try something believable.

    12
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Adrian O'Donnell
    Favourite Adrian O'Donnell
    Report
    Sep 28th 2011, 1:57 PM

    Could you imagine if Brazil pulled out of the FIFA World Cup? Or India from the cricket? Or Kilkenny from the GAA?? It’s ridiculous to suggest a move like that. I thought Aussies were bad last week, but this is just ludicrous!

    At least threaten to do something that you might actually do without the realistic of a national mutiny!

    Wingin gits..

    5
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute John Ó'Ríordán
    Favourite John Ó'Ríordán
    Report
    Sep 28th 2011, 6:35 PM

    While we are on the subject off the All-Blacks does anyone know why time can be made to accommodate the Haka, but time can’t be made to play Amhrán na bhFiann and Ireland Call?

    4
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Peter De Courcy
    Favourite Peter De Courcy
    Report
    Sep 28th 2011, 1:29 PM

    It was always the Poms who were accused of whinging by our Southern Hemisphere cousins. However this World Cup has shown the Aussies and now the Kiwi’s to be even better at it. Could they not work out the costs BEFORE hosting it? Could they not get the NZ government to put a tournament tax on the profit bars, hotels, restaurants and tourist attractions have made from the visiting teams supporters. Maybe they expect the IRB to pay for the cost of the damage done by the earthquake as well? Boycott 2015 ….yeah right. What a shower.

    3
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Phil Mc Donald
    Favourite Phil Mc Donald
    Report
    Sep 28th 2011, 6:07 PM

    Or Man Utd pulling out of the FA Cup?….oh.

    3
Submit a report
Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
Thank you for the feedback
Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.

Leave a comment

 
cancel reply