Advertisement
Diarmuid O'Flynn, centre, on one of the weekly marches in Ballyhea. Twitter

O'Flynn bitterly disappointed by response to anti-bondholder protest

“Nothing will shake the Irish people,” says Irish Examiner sports journalist at the end of 153-mile protest run.

RATHER THAN RALLYING the people of Ireland in opposition to the EU/IMF bailout as he might have hoped, Diarmuid O’Flynn’s 153-mile run from Ballyhea, County Cork to Dáil Eireann served only to remind him that talk is cheap.

On Tuesday morning, O’Flynn, who is one of the Irish Examiner’s chief hurling writers, set off on a three-day run which culminated with him hand-delivering an anti-bondholder petition to the government following a short march in Dublin this morning.

The past 72 hours have been among the most physically demanding and exhausting of his life, as he told The Score.ie when we caught up with him ahead of this morning’s march from the Garden of Remembrance to Kildare Street.

Yesterday’s third and final leg of the run, from Portlaoise to Dublin, had to be completed by a team of relay cyclists who offered to take up the mantle after his legs simply couldn’t take any more.

“At this stage I’m just hobbling,” said O’Flynn earlier today. “I wouldn’t say I was legless – I still had the legs, they just weren’t working very well.”

However, with just over 500 signatures gathered on the digital petition by the time it was submitted this afternoon, it seems that all the hard work and physical punishment might not have been worth it after all.

“To be honest though, if I’d ended up crawling all the way to Dublin, I don’t think it would have had any impact in terms of encouraging people to join me. I don’t think there’s anything at all that will shake the Irish people.”

We’re a great nation for complaining but not so much for action.

The most galling thing about this apathy and disinterest, in O’Flynn’s eyes, is the fact that the people of Ireland don’t seem to realise that we haven’t quite hit the bottom insofar as financial hardship is concerned.

“There are an awful lot more squeezes coming down the road. Already this week, we’ve heard about water charges and property taxes. They’ll hit the weakest in society who are also those with the weakest voice. Nobody seems to notice and nobody seems to react and it goes on and on and on until we hit the wall.”

His growing anger and frustration became evident earlier this week when he described himself in a tweet as “baffled by the apathy [and] baffled by the lack of national coverage” which his protest has received. Since February, he has been involved in organising weekly protests against the terms of Ireland’s bailout deal in his native Ballyhea.

Though obviously disillusioned by the traction which his campaign has gained across the country, he was quick to pay tribute to those who have worked alongside him for the past few months.

“I’m very proud of my own community and what we’ve done,” he said. “I couldn’t have asked for any more effort from them.”

I couldn’t bring myself to pick up the phone this morning to ask them to make the trip to Dublin to keep supporting something that is doomed to failure.

Read: National sports journalist sets off on run to deliver bailout petition to the Dáil >

Close
11 Comments
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Con Cussed
    Favourite Con Cussed
    Report
    Nov 4th 2020, 2:07 PM

    Good to see talent being used intelligently between the provinces.

    We only have four professional senior teams and need to build on what we have before going outside. That’s not trying to be myopic as we have benefitted greatly from our overseas players and will hope continue to do so when needed.

    41
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute rugbyanbeer
    Favourite rugbyanbeer
    Report
    Nov 4th 2020, 4:46 PM

    @Con Cussed: Covid sorta made it their only option

    1
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Con Cussed
    Favourite Con Cussed
    Report
    Nov 4th 2020, 5:57 PM

    @rugbyanbeer: One of the few positive things from COVID-19.

    3
    See 1 more reply ▾
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Fitz Mac
    Favourite Fitz Mac
    Report
    Nov 5th 2020, 12:10 AM

    @Con Cussed: 110% agree with you .

    2
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute TL55
    Favourite TL55
    Report
    Nov 4th 2020, 2:14 PM

    Chris Farrell has had so little game time I think he should have been released also.

    35
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Patrick O Connell
    Favourite Patrick O Connell
    Report
    Nov 4th 2020, 3:17 PM

    Good to get cover in at 9 for the next few weeks. It’s looking likely that Casey will be called up to the Irish squad over the next few weeks

    25
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute SomeGuy
    Favourite SomeGuy
    Report
    Nov 4th 2020, 4:10 PM

    @Patrick O Connell: Should definitely get a call up. Highly touted youngster who has done well this season. If you think lack of senior experience is an issue, capping James Ryan before he had played a senior club game (bar an ‘A’ appearance for Munster) didnt turn out too poorly!

    19
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Fitz Mac
    Favourite Fitz Mac
    Report
    Nov 5th 2020, 12:09 AM

    @running man ; Next Friday the 13th of November kicks off the Autumn Internationals. Welcome to rugby.

    1
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute running man
    Favourite running man
    Report
    Nov 4th 2020, 9:11 PM

    What Ireland duty is Murray now on?

    1
Submit a report
Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
Thank you for the feedback
Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.