Skip to content
New Newcastle United Steve McClaren.

Newcastle confirm McClaren appointment as Mike Ashley steps down from board

Newcastle United have confirmed that Steve McClaren is the club’s new head coach.

STEVE MCCLAREN HAS been appointed as Newcastle United head coach on an initial three-year deal that could be extended to eight.

The Premier League club announced on Wednesday that the former England and Middlesbrough manager has succeeded John Carver, who had been in charge since the end of December after Alan Pardew left for Crystal Palace before his exit was confirmed on Tuesday.

Carver preserved Newcastle’s top-flight status with a 2-0 victory over West Ham on the final day of the 2014-15 campaign, the side’s first win in 11 games.

McClaren was heavily linked with Newcastle towards the end of last season and was sacked by Derby County last month after missing out on a place in the Championship play-offs.

“I am delighted that we have secured the services of one of the best coaches in English football,” said managing director Lee Charnley.

McClaren arrives at St James’ Park faced with the challenge of attempting to unify a club unsettled by fan unrest aimed at owner Mike Ashley, who says he’ll now step down from the board.

Supporters staged regular protests last season against a perceived lack of ambition under Ashley and the billionaire businessman will look to McClaren to mastermind a change in fortunes for Newcastle.

Alex Pearce was asked if he’d ‘like to rear-end’ Roy Keane today

One former Liverpool boss has a word of warning for Brendan Rodgers

Author
View 8 comments
Close
8 Comments
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Stephen Bolger
    Favourite Stephen Bolger
    Report
    Dec 30th 2018, 11:07 AM

    Trying me best to forget it

    118
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Shane Lad
    Favourite Shane Lad
    Report
    Dec 30th 2018, 11:58 AM

    Delaney out

    87
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute paul kelly
    Favourite paul kelly
    Report
    Dec 30th 2018, 3:57 PM

    I’ll tell you what I remember, the worst football I’ve seen in over a decade. Players not wanting to play for their country because of a little jumped up tw@t of an assistant manager, over priced tickets and then top it all off give McCarthy the job for 2 years and no matter how well he does he is then replaced. Ah what a year

    56
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Michael Lynch
    Favourite Michael Lynch
    Report
    Dec 30th 2018, 2:20 PM

    3/10 as if I care.

    27
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Noel Doherty
    Favourite Noel Doherty
    Report
    Dec 31st 2018, 10:02 AM

    @Michael Lynch: ditto

    1
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Dave McAuliffe
    Favourite Dave McAuliffe
    Report
    Dec 30th 2018, 9:18 PM

    What I saw almost put me to sleep.
    But most of it we didn’t see as they all seem to be on paid TV.

    20
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Kieran Coughlan
    Favourite Kieran Coughlan
    Report
    Dec 30th 2018, 12:15 PM

    8/10 remember it all to well :(

    14
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute James Donnery
    Favourite James Donnery
    Report
    Dec 31st 2018, 6:33 AM

    Give it up altogether waste of money

    4
Submit a report
Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
Thank you for the feedback
Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.