Advertisement
Dan Sheridan/INPHO

'We believe he's ready to go': Schmidt confident another day will see Sexton right

The Kiwi also explains why he didn’t want to put the “incredibly strong” Iain Henderson at blindside.

Sean Farrell reports from Cardiff

IRELAND HEAD COACH Joe Schmidt admits the next 40-odd hours before the Rugby World Cup quarter-final kicks off against Argentina are crucial for in bringing his squad to match-ready levels.

Schmidt named his line-up for Sunday 1pm fixture today with three enforced changes from the win over France, a trio of tweaks that did not include a change at number 10 where Jonathan Sexton was a serious doubt after hobbling off in the first half of the Pool D decider.

“We’ve allowed him to build his way back into the week,” Schmidt says of the groin-hampered out-half.

“He had a fairly light start to the week, he trained fully in the Millennium Stadium this morning and we believe that he’s ready to go.”

After he sat out the post-match session on Monday the first positive sign of Sexton’s recovery came on Wednesday when management informed us that the playmaker had run 3.5 kilometres. And while the rest of the team were enjoying a day off from training yesterday, Sexton was swinging into his first opportunity to kick since a soft restart against Les Bleus.

“He hasn’t done as much kicking as he would have, but that wouldn’t be sensible either. We’ve allowed him to build his way in to the week so that by the end of the seven days he can be ready to go.”

Schmidt added: ”If he’s fit, he’s fit. Before we played France in the Six Nations a lot of people asked questions and he was fine.

Jonathan Sexton with Joe Schmidt Dan Sheridan / INPHO Dan Sheridan / INPHO / INPHO

“We don’t tend to take too many risks with players. We have copped a few injuries, but we’ve managed people through the week. We have a fantastic medical crew: a super strength, conditioning and rehabilitation group and Johnny himself is ready to go.”

As for his other big selection calls today, the Kiwi says Jordi Murphy’s familiarity with running as ‘a six’ in training helped him get the nod on the blindside flank. Besides, the “incredibly strong” Iain Henderson was needed elsewhere.

“Jordi has started Six Nations matches for us,” explains Schmidt, “he’s played six before, he’s played across the back row and we felt he was best positioned having rehearsed running in that position more often than anyone else.

“We did think about putting Iain Henderson in there and putting Donnacha Ryan in, and that may still happen during the game. We just felt Paul (O’Connell) is an unbelievably good scrummager for us. Iain is an incredibly strong young man so we felt that added a bit more ballast to our tight five because our back five (forwards) have lost a lot of experience.”

“There’s a few guys, to be honest, who are carrying bumps and bruises. It’s been a light training week, but we’ve got 48 hours more to freshen and hopefully be ready to go by 1pm Sunday.”

Marvel at how relaxed Paddy Jackson and Tommy Bowe are ahead of Argentina quarter-final

Aaron Smith snapping at the chance to ‘mark himself’ against France’s Parra

Close
14 Comments
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute John Hughes
    Favourite John Hughes
    Report
    Sep 28th 2011, 1:11 PM

    Yeah right they’d pull out of RWC15. They would have rioting on the streets of every city and town in NZ if they tried that one. If you’re going to bluff at least try something believable.

    12
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Adrian O'Donnell
    Favourite Adrian O'Donnell
    Report
    Sep 28th 2011, 1:57 PM

    Could you imagine if Brazil pulled out of the FIFA World Cup? Or India from the cricket? Or Kilkenny from the GAA?? It’s ridiculous to suggest a move like that. I thought Aussies were bad last week, but this is just ludicrous!

    At least threaten to do something that you might actually do without the realistic of a national mutiny!

    Wingin gits..

    5
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute John Ó'Ríordán
    Favourite John Ó'Ríordán
    Report
    Sep 28th 2011, 6:35 PM

    While we are on the subject off the All-Blacks does anyone know why time can be made to accommodate the Haka, but time can’t be made to play Amhrán na bhFiann and Ireland Call?

    4
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Peter De Courcy
    Favourite Peter De Courcy
    Report
    Sep 28th 2011, 1:29 PM

    It was always the Poms who were accused of whinging by our Southern Hemisphere cousins. However this World Cup has shown the Aussies and now the Kiwi’s to be even better at it. Could they not work out the costs BEFORE hosting it? Could they not get the NZ government to put a tournament tax on the profit bars, hotels, restaurants and tourist attractions have made from the visiting teams supporters. Maybe they expect the IRB to pay for the cost of the damage done by the earthquake as well? Boycott 2015 ….yeah right. What a shower.

    3
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Phil Mc Donald
    Favourite Phil Mc Donald
    Report
    Sep 28th 2011, 6:07 PM

    Or Man Utd pulling out of the FA Cup?….oh.

    3
Submit a report
Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
Thank you for the feedback
Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.