Updated at 15.00
JAMIE HEASLIP HAS declared himself fully fit to take part in Leinster’s Champions Cup clash with Castres at the RDS on Saturday [KO 17.30] after recovering from a shoulder injury.
The eastern province’s captain suffered damage to the AC joint in his right shoulder during the Guinness Pro12 win over Ulster on 3 January, missing the victory over the Cardiff Blues last weekend.
Earlier this week, Leinster forwards coach Leo Cullen rated Heaslip’s chances of lining out against Castres as 50/50, but the Ireland number eight says he is fit and ready to play.
Yeah, good to go,” said Heaslip in UCD this afternoon. “Ah, the Wolverine blood kicked in and I was grand. Mattie [O'Connor] just thought I needed a week off because he says I’m getting old, but I say I’m like Benjamin Button – only getting younger. I’m fine.”
Heaslip reported that he was involved in Leinster’s pitch sessions on Monday, Tuesday and today, “throwing myself about” without any ill effects.
Being sidelined, even for such a short spell, is a rare experience for the 31-year-old, whose last in-game injury before the Ulster meeting came in December of 2010 against Clermont.
Heaslip is famed for his durability, so sitting in the stands through injury was an odd experience.
“It was probably embarrassing more than strange, to be honest,” said Heaslip. “I didn’t know my way around the physio room or these things called medicals that happen after games, that was a bit strange.
“I got a bit of a kick when I went out to get my scans. They had to look back to 2010 to my last scan in the hospital. I think the doctor got a bit of a giggle out of that one, because all of my injuries are on one sheet, whereas most lads have a couple of sheets worth of stuff.
I like to keep it on one sheet, so we’ll see how it goes.
Despite Heaslip’s declaration of his fitness for the Castres encounter at the RDS, there is a school of thought that Leinster would be better off resting their captain this weekend, given the French side’s poor form and the expectation of a Leinster win.
Jack Conan’s excellent performances in recent times may provide another temptation in that regard, but Leinster head coach Matt O’Connor says he will be putting his best foot forward in terms of selection.
“Not in my school, there was never that thought [of resting Heaslip]. They’re a good side and at home in Europe you put out your best blokes to get maximum points out of the game and that’s the way we’ve approached it this week.”
Meanwhile, Zane Kirchner will be missing for four weeks after sustaining a fracture in his shin. The South African has not been in peak form in recent weeks, however, while O’Connor believes Leinster can cope in that area of the pitch.
“Anyone of that calibre is a loss, but at this point we’ve probably got bodies to cope with the loss in that position. In the back three, we’ve got some guys that have done a really good job for us historically and this year.
“So it’s not a massive loss at this point, but it could become one very quickly.”
He’s only sorry because he didn’t get away with it. Should have been given the full 26 weeks.
@Dave Barry: it’s more than 13 weeks if he’s not allowed play until July.
@David Harkin: yeah 22 week ban it looks like unless I’m missing something
@Killian Bolger: They’re taking into account the weeks where he’d have no games specifically the 6 nations and champions cup rounds
@David Harkin: it 13 games weeks, it in the article. Not taking in to account any weeks where there are no games.
What goes through someone’s head to even think of doing this. Shocking lack of respect for a fellow player.
@Luke walkee: yes it’s a new low. Total disrespect.
@Luke walkee: South African rugby has a bad culture, huge problem with doping and discipline
@Luke walkee: snot I think?
@Luke walkee: The horrid inconsistencies in punishment are so frustrating. He gets a massive ban for spitting, Rory Kockett gets 3 weeks for eye gouging. Rugby authorities really need to cop on or there’ll be fewer and fewer kids playing the game.
@grandslamkbo: Yea I hear what your saying, they need to be more severe with dangerous play especially the intentional stuff. In saying that I fully agree with length of time handed out for this incident.
@Luke walkee: Sure. Ban this guy for 13 weeks. That’s fine. But eye gouging is absolutely horrific. It’s dangerous and potentially career ending. How the F is it worth 3 weeks? The authorises are hopeless.
@Batster: yep, and end up in Munster then
He apologized to everyone bar the fella he left his snot on
@Baz: or even Connacht supporters in attendance, like what example to young fans/future players is that..?
@ℝ: Rory Kockett was hit with a 3 week ban for eye gouging. This guy gets 13 weeks for spitting. What he did was absolutely disgusting but how the fu k can spitting be deemed 4 times worse according to a disciplinary committee? This BS randomness to serious foul play will stop parents from sending their kids to the game.
@grandslamkbo: he didn’t spit ,he blew he’s dirty f snot on the guy face ,low
@Martin: whatever it was, it apparently 4 times worse than trying to rip someone’s eye out. Do you not see how ridiculous that is?
Well that’s a relief. I tried googling the incident but autocorrect gave me Miko Lee instead.
No place for that on a rugby pitch…
@bread of heaven: that the best you can do. #trollmyars
@bread of heaven: calling bull…
Never seen or heard of it happening in Irish Rugby in 40 years of playing and following. A dig, most certainly. Gobbing on an opponent, nope…..
@Steve Fox: try rephrasing that the anywhere
@bread of heaven: Our club hosted Blaina many years ago but thankfully none of them were repugnant trolls like you.
@bread of heaven: Clive… You’re about two more troll posts on here before I let the irishers and your Welsh pals on planet rugby know about you’re ridiculous forays into trolling The42.
@bread of heaven: “era” (as you’d say yourself), you’re about as Welsh as Jim D
@Pseud O’Nym: no.. He is actually Welsh. Caught him duplicating posts on here and on planet rugby form.. Where he posts under as his real self… He’s a scarlets supporter who’s pretty reasonable in real life but comes to this site to indulge his weird anti-Irish fetish.
Pretty disgusting behavior.
@Ian Frizzell: keep your nose out of it!
Cleared his nose? He’d have never seen it again if he done that to me
@Chris Mc: the stuff in his nose?!
@Chris Mc: hard boy.
And they say rugby is a gentleman’s sport.
@Nosmo King: they actually say it’s a hooligans game
@Darren Byrne: indeed, the full as saying being…
Soccer is a game for gentleman played by hooligans, Rugby is a game for hooligans played by gentleman, and GAA is a game for hooligans played by hooligans.. :-D
Played a pile of sports myself, and far less aggro game to game in Rugby than in Soccer, the overt physicality takes a good bit of the edge/tension out. Being able to legit smash an opponent in a tackle or ruck really helps…
@Nosmo King: they say it’s a game watched by gentlemen and played by thugs, where as soccer is a game watched by thugs and played by gentlemen. Bit of truth in there somewhere.
@Mr Bojangles:
That’s the funniest, soccer played by gentlemen? More like played by cheating/diving/faking drama queens.
@james boylan: but watched by millions more ;-)
@james boylan: Read the fkn quote
@james boylan: Probably a better way of putting it James.
@Mr Bojangles: you’re just wrong.
Disgusting. Glad to see such a long ban was handed out.
Truly a disgusting act – suspension rather should be community service for 12 months
Is this an issue of breeding?
@Tom McHugh: no, it’s just an issue of a single ass h#le getting caught, don’t believe Cheetahs have a bad disciplinary record at all iirc…
It certainly put the disciplinary committees nose out of joint . It’s just snot on!
He deserves every week of it, disgusting…
What’s most concerning is the imbalance of sanctions for this compared to those getting away with softer bans for targeted violence…
He’d have gotten less for a punch!
@the druid: Nonsense. Rory Kockett tried to rip someone’s eye out. He gets 3 weeks. Are you really saying you’d want someone mauling your eyes over this? I’m not deserving this muppet doesn’t deserve 13 weeks, but how on Earth can spitting be considered 4 times worse than eye gouging?
Should have got the 26 weeks. Truly disgusting!
The same player was stretchered off the field with his neck in a brace in the corresponding match in South Africa in December. At that time he had the best wishes of all. Looks like he is held in less esteem now.
Probably yet another proud moment for his parents.
Definitely not a Kodak snap for the family photo album.
Credit where credit is due – Good multitasking.
No apology for the player he did it to??
S*umbag
Animal but not suprising of RSA gamesmanship. Waste of time letting RSA teams in to the competition in the first instance. Spend more money developing the game in Italy and let the Africans play soccer with their compatriots.
@Adrian Aungier: 100% agree with you
He shouldn’t be allowed back until he promises to keep his nose clean in the future.
Only good thing is he made an example of what type of player not to be. Dirt bird
Thats a serious punishment
……not to be sneezed at
Dirty f..ker… I’d end up serving a ban too
Ah
Yes its terrible….the Scots will want the ban tripled
Filthy
That is nasty! Clearing his nose onto the other player *dry heaving*